Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2+ hours
Yield: 4 pint jars
Source: sinplyrecipes.com (modified)
4 lbs good cooking apples
1 C apple cider vinegar
2 C water
3 C sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1 lemon, zest and juice
1. Wash and cut apples into quarters. Don't peel or core them. A lot of pectin is in the core, and there is much flavour in the peels.
2. Put apples into a large pot, add vinegar and water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until apples are soft.
3. Make an apple puree using a food mill or a chinois sieve (I used our Vitamix).
4. Return apple puree to a large pot. Add sugar, spices, lemon juice and rind and a dash of salt.
5. Cook uncovered in a wide, thick bottomed pot on medium low heat, stirring often. Cook down until thick and smooth. This could take up to 3 hours depending on your stove and type of pot.